Western Heights Link (shared path)
Status: Under Construction
This link will provide a safer route to seven schools in the area. Improved vehicle and road crossings will be a big focus for this project. It will feel and look similar to the Springfield link.
- Safe walking/biking connection to schools and identified key community destinations
- 7 x schools comprising 3000 students
- Work alongside the refurbishment of footpaths in Western Heights as part of the revitalisation project.
- A courtesy crossing on the Thomas Crescent / Gordon Road has been installed to provide a link to the Turner Drive Reserve.
- The 3m wide shared path down Thomas Crescent to the School has been installed and the upgraded school drop off area will be completed next.
- The next section scheduled is a shared path to Clayton Road
The construction of the Gordon Road portion of the Western Heights (Schools Link) shared path is now complete with the rest of the full cycleway planned for the new financial year.
Work taking place in the new financial year will include:
- Continuing the three metre shared path along Thomas Crescent to Clayton Road.
- Upgrading the rear entrance to Western Heights Primary to improve the safety of the drop-off zone and parking areas.
- Closing the stormwater easement (walkway) behind the properties at 26 – 34 Thomas Crescent and adding a new footpath on the street side in place of the walkway
Read the latest news update HERE
The Gordon Road section is almost complete and contractors will move on to Thomas Crescent next to continue the shared path on the western side (opposite to the school) of Thomas Crescent.
This work is expected to begin by the start of February (weather permitting).
The new footpath will replace the easement behind the properties at 26 – 34 Thomas Crescent, which is being us as a walkway between Turner Drive and Leslie Avenue and a result of feedback from the community as part of the Western Heights reinvigoration project is being removed.
Community feedback also highlighted the need to slow traffic using Thomas Crescent to make the area safer. To help encourage slower driving, changes to the road will include:
- narrowing the roadway
- construction of raised crossing platforms
- applying road markings
- adding extra parking near the school entrance/exit
- Once the footpath on the western side of the road is completed contractors will move on to the next section of the Western Heights cycleway which will run along the eastern (school side) of the road.
- This section of the cycleway includes an upgraded rear entrance/exit for Western Height Primary School which will help to improve the safety of the drop-off zone and parking areas for parents and students.